Each website has its own unique web address (see uniform resource locator Or URL) which can be reached through an internet connection.When someone gives you their web address, it generally takes you to their website’s home page and from the home page; you can click on links to reach other sections of the site.A website can consist of one page, or of tens of thousands of pages, depending on what the site owner is trying to accomplish. A single web server may support multiple websites and a single website may reside on multiple web servers, sometimes thousands of miles apart.
WHAT IS A WEBSITE?
A website is a collection of web pages (documents that are accessed through the Internet) on World Wide Web (WWW) that includes a beginning file called Home Page. Home page contains hyperlinks to other pages on the same or other site(s) while a web page is what you see on the screen when you type in a web address, click on a link, or put a query in a search engine. A web page can contain any type of information, and can include text, colour, graphics, animation and sound.
TYPES OF WEB SITES
Today we can easily identify twelve different types of websites available on the Internet since the inception of the basic informational website which appeared in the early years.
- Business Website: If you are trying to find a way to create a professional website without spending thousands of dollars on web design, WordPress offers a simple solution. You can choose from thousands of business themes for your WordPress site and then tweak the layout to better represent your business.
- Informational Websites: As mentioned above, informational based websites were the first versions to hit the Internet. They are as they sound, sites which enable readers to find information on a particular business or topic.
- E-Commerce Websites: E-Commerce websites take brochure websites a step further by allowing you to shop directly from your computer. The main difference between a brochure site and an e-commerce site is that the latter features a checkout system to enable you to order directly from the online store.
- Brochure/Catalogue Style Websites: This kind of website goes further in depth than an informational site and provides general information about a store as well as the stock they carry and the prices.
- Blogs: Blog websites (traditionally known as web logs) did not hit the mainstream until the early to mid 2000’s. However since then blogging has become very popular for both business and personal use.
- Personal Websites: Personal websites are similar to that of a personal blog where an individual in all likelihood will have their own personal domain. These are created by friends and families to share their information and pictures online with each other allowing for people to keep in contact.
- Social Media and Networking Websites: More popular than ever, online forums and social networking sites like Facebook and MySpace are used on a daily basis to spread the word about businesses and keep in touch with family and friends.
- Photo Sharing Websites: Great for those in the photographic industry, these sites allow for individuals to upload and share photographs online.
- Mobile Device Websites: As technology develops, so is the variety of new websites appearing online. The latest is the creation of websites for viewing on mobile devices and mobile phones.
- News and Magazine Website: WordPress makes it easy to set up a news and magazine website. You can use categories and tags to make it easier for readers to find content. WordPress is also SEO friendly so that you can focus on publishing quality news and magazine articles.
- Online Job Board: Create a community job board using WordPress. By using a forum theme for WordPress, you can easily organize job categories and create a space for people to post or find jobs. WordPress includes options for accepting subscribers and additional plugins will allow you to customize the website to meet your needs
- Niche Affiliate Websites
Affiliate marketing can be a useful way to earn extra money, especially if you go about it in the right way. When your website is dedicated to niche affiliate marketing, your main goal is to gain as much traffic as possible, with the hopes that your visitors will purchase products discussed in your blog posts.
Knowing the types of websites available will help identify your web development requirements and define the one most suitable for your business needs.
IMPORTANCE OF WEBSITES
What is the importance of a website? , why do people visit the websites? These are some questions which could come into your mind because if we don’t know why it is important to have a website why would we go for it. Generally, people look at websites for two primary reasons:
- To find information they need. This could be anything from a student looking for pictures of frogs for a school project, to finding the latest stock quotes, to getting the address of the nearest Thai restaurant.
- To complete a task. Visitors may want to buy the latest best-seller, download a software program, or participate in an online discussion about a favorite hobby.
The main thing to remember in creating a website is that you’re not creating the website for you; you already know about the information or service you have to offer. You’re creating the site for your visitors, so it should contain the content they want, and be organized in a way that makes sense, even to an outsider.
- Importance for Business: if you have a website for your company then it will help you in number of ways:
- Your small business will gain credibility
- A website saves you money
- It will enable you to keep your customers informed
- It is always accessible
- A website makes it possible to target a wider market
- It provides a medium on which to showcase your work
- A website saves you time
- It improves customer service
- Importance For Customers: if you are in a business then your customers also want your website where they can get the relevant information about you and your company and product and services provided by it. They want to know about:
- How your business is unique
- A clear sense of what your company offers
- Contact information, including a phone number and physical location
- Third-party validation
- Secure Socket Layer (SSL)
- Ease of use and navigation
- Clear guidance on your processes
- An ability to give feedback
- Clear calls to action
- Special offers and personalization
Hope this article will help you to get an idea about website, for more details you can visit as on the below mentioned URL: