SEO copywriting is a specialised form of online writing that contains key phrases (words your target reader types into a search box to find the information they are looking for). It is the technique of writing view-able text on a web page in such a way that it reads well for the surfer, and also targets specific search terms. Its purpose is to rank highly in the search engines for the targeted search terms.
Along with viewable text, SEO copywriting usually optimizes other on-page elements for the targeted search terms. These include the Title, Description, Keywords tags, headings, and alternative text. The idea behind SEO copywriting is that search engines want genuine content pages and not additional pages often called “doorway pages” that are created for the sole purpose of achieving high rankings.
SEO Copywriting Definition
It is the technique of writing the copy of a website so that it flows and reads well for a page viewer and features selected keywords and phrases that the site owner wants optimized so that the site ranks well for those terms.
That may sound simple but it’s really not that easy to define SEO copywriting content. You cannot repeat a keyword 50 times on a page and expect to rank well for that keyword for the following reasons:
- Keyword spamming greatly discourages link building.Only balanced, informative, well-written web content will make the owners of other websites want to create links to your site which is a key component of ranking well with the major search engines.
- It makes directory submission impossible. –The editors that determine which sites get added to their directories will read through the first paragraph and see your keyword density as a blatant attempt to artificially enhance your page’s rank.
- It makes search engine submission impossible. –The people that review the sites that have been submitted directly to the major search engines for indexing will not only disregard your site completely, they’ll penalize your website for unethical procedures and make it very difficult to find through a search engine.
- It alienates your target audience. –Web viewers have very brief attention spans. The very people that you hope to attract with the keywords that you have chosen will read the first sentence and hit their Back buttons immediately because your content is unreadable.
If you want your site to rank well for carefully chosen keywords and phrases, the content of your site must be well-written, well-researched, informative, and rewarding for your viewers to read which is precisely why so many site owners hire professional SEO copywriters to craft the content of their sites.
Difference between Traditional and Modern SEO Copywriting
Traditionally, SEO copywriting has been about optimizing web page copy by targeting keyword phrases in certain frequencies and densities. And yet search engine research shows that most of the factors that determine how a web page is ranked in a search engine are based on things that happen off the page itself.
While MODERN SEO COPYWRITING is all about crafting content so compelling that other people want to promote it by linking to it or sharing it, which increases your trust and authority and helps pages you want to rank well for certain keywords.
Importance of SEO Copywriting For your Business
As an SEO copywriter always focus first on creating content useful for online users and not for gaining higher search engine rankings. SEO copywriting plays a vital role here. It helps your website not only ‘catch the eyes’ of the search robots but also get it ‘picked up’ by those spiders.
With the help of below mentioned points, you will get to know why SEO copywriting is important for your business:
- SEO copywriting helps your site to compatible in both ways i.e. both from viewers and search engines point of view.
- SEO copywriting helps your site by placing keywords at the right places in the web pages. As I mentioned earlier, the keywords should be relevant and should be able to connect, inform and convince the search engine spiders.
- SEO copywriting helps your site maintain correct “optimal length”. Irrespective of your area of business, SEO copywriting helps your site attain the right and exact balance of getting relevant traffic to your website and converting that traffic into business.
Process of SEO Copywriting
If you will use this 7 step formula of SEO copywriting for writing web pages, it can results in highly persuasive pages that are written first and foremost for the human reader – your prospect. Yet these clear, smooth-reading pages are fully optimized, Result in significantly higher Google rankings generating more unique visitors.
Keyword Research: Someone has to determine the key words for which your site should be optimized.
Keyword Selection: from the list of keywords developed in step one, select the one keyword for which the page we are writing should be optimized. The keyword should be one that closely relates to the topic covered in the copy on that page.
Write persuasive copy for a human reader: That’s right – forget about search engines for now.
Your first draft should be the strongest, most natural-sounding piece of copy you can write, targeted 100% at the prospect reading the page.
Step 4: Add keywords to the copy: Now go back and selectively insert the key word into the copy as often as you can – without making the page sound forced or unnatural.
If inserting a keyword in a sentence results in bad copy, don’t use it. Leave the sentence as is. Ignore rigid formulas that specify keyword density, position, or frequency of insertion.
Write Meta Tags: This is part of the HTML code of the page. The steps in writing the metatags are:
- Title Tag – This is the most important Meta-Tag. The title tag is what your visitors see at the top of their browser when they click onto the page. Keep it to 6 or 7 words. Ideally the title tag should start with the keyword.
- Description Tag – This is what the user sees on the search engine results page (SERP) – maximum length is 220 characters.
- Keyword Tag – Place the main keyword for the page and any related keywords in this tag.
Post the page: Drive traffic to it and use an analytics package to measure the key performance metrics. The most important metric is where the page ranks on Google for the keyword for which we have optimized it.
Monitor and tweak – continually track page rank: if it falls below the desired position (ideally, the top 5 for that keyword), tweak it to see if you can improve the position.
We hope this article will help you to understand what SEO Copywriting is all about, it’s importance, process involved in SEO copywriting and why it is important for our business. For more details you can visit us at: