Keyword Research is one of the most important, valuable, and high return activities in the search marketing field. It is the process of determining what keywords are used in search engines by potential customers. As Ranking for the right keywords can make or break your website, the search engine optimization (SEO) professionals uses this practice to find and research actual search terms that people enter into search engines. They research keywords, so that they can use it to achieve better rankings in search engines.
It you have a website then by researching your market’s keyword demand, you can not only learn which terms and phrases to target with Search Engine Optimization, but also learn more about your customers as a whole.
Process of Keyword Research
It is very important for us to understand the process of Keyword Research as It’s not always about getting visitors to your site, but about getting the right kind of visitors. The usefulness of this intelligence cannot be overstated; with keyword research you can predict shifts in demand, respond to changing market conditions, and produce the products, services, and content that web searchers are actively seeking. In the history of marketing, there has never been such a low barrier to entry in understanding the motivations of consumers in virtually any niche.
This process involves 6 main steps which are as follows:
- Identify Your Keyword Universe: First you have to identify a comprehensive list of words that are relevant to your business and that indicate that the searcher may be interested in your content. Use your intuition, PPC data, competitor insight, analytics data, internal search data, Google suggest data, and any historical data from your client or your company to construct your initial “seed word” list.
- Expand the List: Use the Google Keyword Tool (along with tools like Word tracker and Keyword Discovery if you have access) to expand the seed word list and to understand relative search volumes of all your keywords. Always keep in mind that Google’s projected search volumes are typically not accurate and are really only useful in comparing the relative popularity of one word to another. In other words, if keyword A has a monthly search volume of 5,000 and keyword B has a monthly search volume of 10,000, you can assume that keyword B is more popular. But don’t assume that getting a number one listing for keyword B will bring you 10,000 users a month. It may but it probably won’t.
Note: Using paid search to test the popularity and conversion rates of keywords is an excellent methodology for determining your most important keyword phrases to target with organic search if you can afford to do the testing.
- Prioritize Your List: Your new expanded list is your “keyword universe.” It is then appropriate to prioritize your keywords and choose the most important keywords that you will be targeting with your campaign. These are the keywords that you will want to track rankings for as a general barometer of health. Additionally, these keywords will be your first priority as you begin link building campaigns in a later stage of your campaign.
- Categorize Your Priority Keywords: Categorization makes it easier for people within your team to understand the impact that SEO is having at a more meaningful level. Once you have a priority list of keywords for your campaign, you should categorize the keywords into segments specific to business goals. This allows for more granular reporting and understanding of performance. At a minimum you should have all keywords categorized between brand and non-brand. Additional categories may include product type, sub brands, business group, keyword based or keywords that map to a specific business goal or customer segment.
- Identify Preferred Landing Pages: Once you have your keywords defined in this manner you can begin mapping the priority keywords to specific pages that they are most relevant to. These pages will be the primary target of your optimization activities for your priority keywords. You may find as you begin to do the on-page optimization (page titles, meta descriptions, H tags, and content) for your preferred landing pages that a particular page may be relevant to only one or two priority keywords. This is where you can use the additional keywords from the keyword universe that were not designated as priority words to enhance your optimization efforts and target a wider array of long tail permutations. Having a priority list of keywords makes it easier to make decisions on where to spend resources, which keywords to check rankings for, which keywords to prioritize for link text, and which keywords to report on for executives that don’t want to try to understand performance against hundreds of keywords.
- Refine Your Keyword List Over Time: It’s important to pay attention to your PPC data and analytics data to identify new keyword phrases that may be new opportunities for your business. This is especially true for new brands and sub brands as well as keywords that are driven by seasonal behaviour. It’s good practice to review these data sets monthly to identify any new opportunities that should be integrated into your SEO campaign.
We hope this article will help you to know about definition of Keyword Research, its Goals and process of doing keyword research. For more details you can visit us at below mentioned URL: